The city has reverted to its original name of Thoothukudi at present. It is a port town and boasts of amazingly lovely beaches that have the tourists admiring the city for its unmatched natural beauty. Fishing for pearls is a major industry in the area that has earned Tuticorin the epithet of being the ‘pearl city.’ There are a number of temples pleasing the devout Hindus while the Christian pilgrims flock to the city to pay homage to the Virgin Mary.
Nearest Rail Station
Thoothukudi railway station.
Things to do
- Pay a visit to the Kalakkad Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Admire the old rock-cut temples at Kazhugumalai.
- Our Lady of Snows Basilica is a must see.
- Catch the Shiva temple festivals in August.
- Enjoy the delicious cashew macaroons